Hi.

Sorry by my english language, I know is very poor, buy I think that writting in english you´ll can understand me better.

I want to buy one computer to run assemblies with more than 10.000 parts. and I´ld like move them.

I have seen HP and Dell computer.

 

64 GB RAM

1 Tb hard disk M.2

nVIDIA P4000 8Gb

....

Xeon processors or Core i7 / i9 processors

"Gold series" like Intel Xeon 6128 3.4 2666MHz 6C CPU ?

Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3 2666MHz 13.75 10C CPU ?

 

My big question is whether it is recommended to buy xeon processors or with i7 / i8 processors is more than enough.

64 Gb is enough too, or 128 is better?

 

Thanks a lot !!

 


Categories: Administration

Comments
Last comment By: Richard Gergely   Mon, 11 Feb 2019 18:40:27 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Xeon's aren't better.  Clock speed for the processor is the most important factor.  A higher speed i5 is better than a slower clock speed i7.  So, out of the ones you listed, I'd choose the i7 7820x because it would be the cheapest and would provide as good performance as the i9.  As far as I can tell 64GB may be sufficient.  But, it all depends on the complexity of the parts in the assembly.  If there are a lot of surfaces and complex geometry in the parts, it'll really slow SW down.  The good news is that SW now includes pretty good tools to identify parts that can be slowing your assembly down:

Opening the parts that have a high triangle count and setting them to a lower image quality really helps:

By: Matt Peneguy  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 13:34:33 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Hello Jose.

 

Buy the processor with the fastest clock speed you can afford, that has four cores (or six, if you do a lot of simulation).

More cores equals better performance.

Parts, Assemblies, and drawings: 4 cores or more.

Photo realistic rendering: 4-6 cores.

Simulation: 4 - 6 cores.

Fluid Flow: 6-8 cores. 

Xenon CPU's are more expensive, but you do get better performance under extreme load.

 

Check this link for more info: Best Hardware Recommendations for SOLIDWORKS 2018

By: Frederik Herløw  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 13:41:35 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Couple of points of advice -

Xeon processors are (likely) a waste of money for what you require, please do not buy one as the money would be far better spent elsewhere. Xeons are supposed to be server cpus with high core counts. Their higher price point can also be contributed to them having a far larger cache, ECC memory, and support for multiple sockets - all things which are ignored by Solidworks (unless you are rendering, which I included in my suggestion anyway)

 

If you are going to be doing a lot of rendering, it is still possible to get a Core type cpu which can handle this better. With the (sort of) newer Intel core cpus, the base clock speed isn't as important as the single core boost speed. Due to Solidworks only using a single core and likely the most intensive program running at any given time, the speed of the core its running on will boost up to ~5ghz - this is ideal, and what you want to look for

 

I've done a small table to help you decide which cpu to get based on what percentage of your time you dedicate to what solidworks tasks:

Specs100% - 70% of time spent modeling70% - 25% of time spent modeling25% of time spent modeling
NameIntel Core I7-8086KIntel Core I9-9900KIntel Xeon W-2195
Base Clock4.00GHz2.90GHz2.30GHz
Boost Clock5.00GHz4.30GHz4.30GHz
Cores61218

Search

Reccomendation

Better off with an I7 - 8th or 9th

gen depending on budget

Better off with I9 - 8th or 9th

gen depending on budget

Better off with a W- Series Xeon, but a high core count I9 (8th/9th gen) would also suffice
ReasonSimilar in specs to the right hand side reccomendation, but a lot cheaperIncreased core count over the left reccomendation for help with rendering

Hugely increased core count, with a moderately high boost speed - still very good for general

modeling

LinkIntel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor (12M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz) Product Specifications Intel® Core™ i9-7920X X-series Processor (16.5M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz) Product Specifications Intel® Xeon® W-2195 Processor (24.75M Cache, 2.30 GHz) Product Specifications

 

There is also a huge point to be made for AMDs Ryzen range - especially if rendering is involved and cost is an issue. I'm not going to go over it in too much detail, and if you want more detail just ask

 

Mostly modeling: Ryzen 5 2600X (It isn't worth getting a Ryzen cpu over intel for this, but i'll reccomend anyway)

Mixed render/modeling: Ryzen 7 2700X

Mostly rendering: Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (THIRTY TWO CORES!? SIXTY FOUR THREADS!?!?)

 

Depends hugely on your budget - but generally AMD has a better price/performance ratio when it comes to CPUs (Warning - stay away from ANY AMD branded cpu UNLESS it is Ryzen - the rest are garbage (as of when this was posted))

If you budget is for maximum performance, regardless of cost - stick with Intel. I'm pretty sure that Solidworks actually reccomends Intel anyway, but its up to you at the end of the day.

 

As for ram, 64gb should be enough, but if your budget allows for it then - sure - go for 128. 128gb of ram is futureproofing yourself as well.

 

If you're looking for websites which actually delve into Solidworks performance - the link posted by

This link is relevant to your question

By: Jack Brooker  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:45:12 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Thanks you very much everybody!!!

Now, I´m going to look for where to buy one computer with these processors. HP or Dell, both haven´t got the same processors to assemble.

I´ld like i7-8086k but I don´t found it at Dell or Hp workstations.

i7-9800 is similar, with a few less speed, but more cores.

The i9 processor is very young, and the speed is not so fast like i7 and more expensive.

Now, I´ll try to configure one of these with nVidia P4000 and 64 Gb RAM and 1Tb M.2 hard disk.

I'm sure that with your recommendations everything will be perfect.

thanks you another more time.

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:05:29 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Jack Brooker wrote:

 

Couple of points of advice -

Xeon processors are (likely) a waste of money for what you require, please do not buy one as the money would be far better spent elsewhere. Xeons are supposed to be server cpus with high core counts. Their higher price point can also be contributed to them having a far larger cache, ECC memory, and support for multiple sockets - all things which are ignored by Solidworks (unless you are rendering, which I included in my suggestion anyway)

 

If you are going to be doing a lot of rendering, it is still possible to get a Core type cpu which can handle this better. With the (sort of) newer Intel core cpus, the base clock speed isn't as important as the single core boost speed. Due to Solidworks only using a single core and likely the most intensive program running at any given time, the speed of the core its running on will boost up to ~5ghz - this is ideal, and what you want to look for

 

I've done a small table to help you decide which cpu to get based on what percentage of your time you dedicate to what solidworks tasks:

 

Specs100% - 70% of time spent modeling70% - 25% of time spent modeling25% of time spent modeling
NameIntel Core I7-8086KIntel Core I9-9900KIntel Xeon W-2195
Base Clock4.00GHz2.90GHz2.30GHz
Boost Clock5.00GHz4.30GHz4.30GHz
Cores61218

Search

Reccomendation

Better off with an I7 - 8th or 9th

gen depending on budget

Better off with I9 - 8th or 9th

gen depending on budget

Better off with a W- Series Xeon, but a high core count I9 (8th/9th gen) would also suffice
ReasonSimilar in specs to the right hand side reccomendation, but a lot cheaperIncreased core count over the left reccomendation for help with rendering

Hugely increased core count, with a moderately high boost speed - still very good for general

modeling

LinkIntel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor (12M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz) Product Specifications Intel® Core™ i9-7920X X-series Processor (16.5M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz) Product Specifications Intel® Xeon® W-2195 Processor (24.75M Cache, 2.30 GHz) Product Specifications

 

There is also a huge point to be made for AMDs Ryzen range - especially if rendering is involved and cost is an issue. I'm not going to go over it in too much detail, and if you want more detail just ask

 

Mostly modeling: Ryzen 5 2600X (It isn't worth getting a Ryzen cpu over intel for this, but i'll reccomend anyway)

Mixed render/modeling: Ryzen 7 2700X

Mostly rendering: Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (THIRTY TWO CORES!? SIXTY FOUR THREADS!?!?)

 

Depends hugely on your budget - but generally AMD has a better price/performance ratio when it comes to CPUs (Warning - stay away from ANY AMD branded cpu UNLESS it is Ryzen - the rest are garbage (as of when this was posted))

If you budget is for maximum performance, regardless of cost - stick with Intel. I'm pretty sure that Solidworks actually reccomends Intel anyway, but its up to you at the end of the day.

 

As for ram, 64gb should be enough, but if your budget allows for it then - sure - go for 128. 128gb of ram is futureproofing yourself as well.

 

If you're looking for websites which actually delve into Solidworks performance - the link posted by

This link is relevant to your question

 

The xeon w2125 is squarely aimed for the CAD market requiring low core count. It's not particularly expensive. Through last year it had the highest passmark score for a 4 core processor. Sure you can overclock a I7 but in basic format the passmark scores are what they are.

By: Richard Gergely  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:38:32 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

I would contact Solid Box and get pricing from them.  The can talk to you and get you a pc for your specific needs as far as SolidWorks goes.

 

Chris

By: Christopher Estelow  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:43:48 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Thanks at all.

I´ll look inside that web.

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:05:52 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

thanks you very much.

I´m learning a lot with all your answers.

Without your words It would be very dificult for me to can decide to buy the compunter.

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:10:19 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Hi Jose,

 

I'll jump in here with my thoughts. I don't actually engineer models, but I have to tweak and manipulate very large models of automated manufacturing systems with tens of thousands of parts and millions of polygons. Some times 10 million or more.

 

As others have said, you don't need a Xeon CPU. It can't hurt, but you don't need them. What you need is the fastest CPU clock speed you can afford. Many operations in SOLIDWORKS are multi-threaded, so 4 or more cores with hyper-threading enabled is good too.

 

Also go for as much memory as you can afford. 64 GB is great, but more is better.

 

Now, when it comes to photoreal rendering of models, that's where I make my living. If you're going to render models photoreal, you need to know if the application used to render is a CPU only render application, like Keyshot, or a GPU render application like SOLIDWORKS Visualize Pro. If it's CPU rendering, then you need CPU cores, cores and more cores. 24 & 32, and more, CPU core systems are common for serious Keyshot rendering workstations. If using a GPU rendering app, you need lots of CUDA cores and GPU memory.

 

-Mark

By: Mark Jackson  Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:09:11 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

While the Xeon w-2125 is good, in terms of general Solidworks performance it gets outperformed by the i7-8700, which is also ~$100 cheaper

 

I should also note that the computer I use at work on a day to day basis has a Xeon w-2125, so I can vouch for this being a decent processor - if I had a choice in the matter I would have gone for a different processor though -

 

  • The i7-8086k has better performance on all levels, for roughly the same price (~$20 more)
  • The i7-8700 is a far better budget processor, with better single core performance, therefore better general use Solidworks performance
By: Jack Brooker  Thu, 31 Jan 2019 07:20:41 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

We Will use the computer with SolidWorks and CamWorks.

CamWorks to machin  parts individually.

We Will look for the fastest CPU clock speed and one GPU with a lot of CUDA cores like nVidia P4000.

Now we have to compare the possible configurations offered by computer manufacturers, because, not all of them offer the same products.

 

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Thu, 31 Jan 2019 08:12:10 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Jose Carlos Mundo

 

Go with SolidBox

 

By: John Stoltzfus  Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:47:54 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Hi Jose,

 

I just wanted to make sure you knew if you want to do any photoreal rendering in Visualize Pro, or Visualize Standard that comes with SOLIDWORKS, a Quadro P4000 is the bare minimum. You could render out stills with it in Visualize Standard, but forget any animations in Visualize Pro.

 

-Mark

By: Mark Jackson  Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:46:19 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Jack Brooker wrote:

 

While the Xeon w-2125 is good, in terms of general Solidworks performance it gets outperformed by the i7-8700, which is also ~$100 cheaper

 

I should also note that the computer I use at work on a day to day basis has a Xeon w-2125, so I can vouch for this being a decent processor - if I had a choice in the matter I would have gone for a different processor though -

 

  • The i7-8086k has better performance on all levels, for roughly the same price (~$20 more)
  • The i7-8700 is a far better budget processor, with better single core performance, therefore better general use Solidworks performance

I doubt the user would see any real world difference in single thread, the approx values are 5% and 10% single core speed increase on single thread. Though of note the flip side the xeon utilises it's 4 cores better than than the i7 listed by 10% and 20% respectively if you look at passmark total figure mark hitting 3092 per core value hence why it has the best passmark score for a 4 core processor.

The point being it wouldn't be a big deal if you did have a rig with a xeon w series processor if you picked the right xeon w processor.

Which pushes it really to price, warranty and reliability to drive the final decision. Next day on site if you are a business is critical in my view.

 

The other important thing is if you have the time do not accept the configuration price you see on screen. Call the vendor, quite often you can get a better deal especially if you quote other prices you have.

By: Richard Gergely  Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:17:57 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

thanks you very much one more time!!!

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Fri, 01 Feb 2019 14:34:17 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Hi.

From my spanish reseller of SolidWorks, they offer me the next pc:

Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3 GHz up 4.5 GHz 2666MHz 13.75 10C CPU

i9-7900 3.3GHz up 4.5GHz

nVidia P2000

64 Gb RAM.

SSD 512 Gb OS

1 Tb SSD storage

 

I shoulk like to mount:

nVidia P4000

64 Gb RAM

1 Tb M.2 PCIe for OS and programs

2 Tb M.2 PCIe for parts storage.

and I have dobuts between:

Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3 GHz up 4.5 GHz 2666MHz 13.75 10C CPU

 

 

Intel Xeon W-2145 3.7 up to 4.5 2666MHz 11 8C CPU  ...+147€

Intel Xeon W-2125 4.0 up to 4.5 2666MHz 8.25 4C CPU ..-650€

The price is no problem, but I dont want to spend more money if after it don´t make the computer run better under Solidwork.

 

Hp seems to be the only brand that works directly with our distributor in Spain.

 

Sorry by my clumsiness, but I would like to make as little mistake as possible.

 

Thanks  you very much

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:10:00 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Hello.

I will remember your advice when talking with the seller.

The i7-8700 seem a good processor, but It isn´t possible in the configuration of the computer through HP.

I will see other brands.

Thanks you very much

By: Jose Carlos Mundo  Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:17:10 GMT
Re: High performance Computer for SW 2019

Jose Carlos Mundo wrote:

 

Hi.

From my spanish reseller of SolidWorks, they offer me the next pc:

Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3 GHz up 4.5 GHz 2666MHz 13.75 10C CPU

i9-7900 3.3GHz up 4.5GHz

nVidia P2000

64 Gb RAM.

SSD 512 Gb OS

1 Tb SSD storage

 

I shoulk like to mount:

nVidia P4000

64 Gb RAM

1 Tb M.2 PCIe for OS and programs

2 Tb M.2 PCIe for parts storage.

and I have dobuts between:

Intel Core i9 7900X 3.3 GHz up 4.5 GHz 2666MHz 13.75 10C CPU

 

 

Intel Xeon W-2145 3.7 up to 4.5 2666MHz 11 8C CPU ...+147€

Intel Xeon W-2125 4.0 up to 4.5 2666MHz 8.25 4C CPU ..-650€

The price is no problem, but I dont want to spend more money if after it don´t make the computer run better under Solidwork.

 

Hp seems to be the only brand that works directly with our distributor in Spain.

 

Sorry by my clumsiness, but I would like to make as little mistake as possible.

 

Thanks you very much.

I don't think you would need a 1TB M.2 PCIe for the OS/programs. I would think 500 GB would be more than enough.

 

It does make sense going with one M.2 for OS/programs and one M.2 for storage. I believe the HP turbos are Samsung with different software so pretty good.

 

I9 use the standard ram if I remember correctly so that may bring the price down.

 

You have to decide do you need loads of cores or not, if most of the work is just solidworks using 1 core I can't see the point.

 

BTW HP do price match (at least in the UK). So if you see a HP monitor/HP graphics card in stock somewhere at lower price if your solidworks vendor is going direct to HP they should be able to match the price.

By: Richard Gergely  Mon, 11 Feb 2019 18:40:27 GMT
You are not authorized to view this page No results found! Suggestions: Check spelling, try a different search, or browse topics below.